Learn about our mission, values, and who we are. Meet our Board Members, who are crucial to our success, along with the Beaufort County First Steps staff!
Every Child will arrive at Kindergarten ready to succeed
- The years of early childhood are a critical window of development during which much of human potential is shaped.
- Families are the single most important influence on the development of their young children.
- The work of supporting families and caregivers is a collaborative effort between state and local stakeholders within the public, private and faith sectors.
- School readiness is the result of a child’s development in many areas, with each contributing to the child’s success.
- Services must be individualized and adaptable to meet the unique needs of children and families.
- We value, and demonstrate in our collaborative work and advocacy, diverse perspectives in the development of public policy and programs.
- To achieve desired results, services must be high-quality and grounded in strong evidence. First Steps operates within a culture of accountability.
Meet the Board
|Name||Position||Board Category||Place of Employment|
|Anita “Lynn” Singleton||Chair||Family Education, Training, & Support Provider||Beaufort County School|
|Tonya Allen-Jenkins||Vice-Chair||Child Care, EC Provider||Penn Center Inc.|
|James Williams||Treasurer||Non-Profit||Beaufort Jasper EOC, Head Start|
|Alisa Johnson||DSS||Beaufort County Department of Social Services|
|Ashley Hutchison||County School District||Beaufort County School District|
|Amanda Brewer Dickman||County Library||Beaufort County Library|
|Nancy Kate Pippins||DHEC||Beaufort County Department of Health & Environmental Control|
|Carol Osborn||Early Childhood Education|
|Luz Yaneth Reyna-Colemnares||Business Community|
|Dr. James Simmons||Health Care Provider||All Children’s Pediatrics|
|Patricia Urriola||Non-Profit||PASOs-BJHCHS, Inc.|
|Kelly Zytynski||Secretary||Pre-K Primary Educator||Child Enrichment Center/Baptist Church of Beaufort|
Beaufort County First Steps Staff
Betty Washington, Executive Director
Solimar Abbott, Community Health Worker
Lucette Brown, Parent Educator
Karla Lozado, Community Health Worker
Sheryl Newton, Early Child Educator
Erin Mathews, Program Specialist